At Shephard Health, we treat many patients who suffer personal injuries from motor vehicle accidents. Sometimes, the injuries are severe, but in most cases, the injuries are moderate and are usually something that affects the quality of day-to-day living, resulting in lost time from work and difficulty in dealing with the demands of day-to-day living.
We are excited to offer automotive accident victims multiple treatment modalities to help them get on the fast track to recovery. That is why we combine treatments such as chiropractic with active release and shockwave therapy.
- First, call your insurance company and let them know of the accident. You will immediately receive a claim number and the name of your insurance claims adjuster. These are the two details you need to note and save for your care.
- With your claim number and name of your insurance claims adjuster, immediately seek treatment from a Chiropractor (of your choice) for your injuries. You will not need a referral to seek treatment with a Chiropractor of your choice, and these treatments are covered by your insurance company and will be billed directly by Shephard Health.
In Alberta, if you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident (MVA), you are entitled to accident benefits coverage, regardless of fault or not. Chiropractors are approved primary health care practitioners who can best assess you for injuries sustained, form a diagnosis and provide treatment. Under the Alberta Diagnostic Treatment Protocols Regulation, your auto insurance covers you for a minimum of 10 Chiropractic treatments within 90 days of your collision. This number of treatments, covered by your insurance, can extend to as many as 21 treatments, and further extensions can be applied for as needed.
- Any pain experienced that was not there before the MVA
- Whiplash and injuries related such as:
- Neck pain
- Difficulty swallowing
- Concussion symptoms such as:
- Nausea or vomiting
- Eye sensitivity
- Blurred vision
- Ringing in the ears
- Brain fog
- Increased anger response
- Increased emotional response
- Soft tissue injures such as muscle pain, joint pain, sprains and strains
- Back pain
- Shoulder pain
Shephard Health has been successfully treating motor vehicle accident injuries for over 28 years. Dr. Shephard is able to utilize the most current soft tissue treatments combined with state of the art equipment technology at his clinic to rapidly reduce your injury recovery time.
Those ten days following your motor vehicle accident are an essential timeline for you to contact your insurance company. Whether you are hurt or not initially, it is imperative to contact your insurance company to let them make a note of your MVA and for you to acquire a claim number.
Some victims of motor vehicle accidents (MVA) may not initially have any physical symptoms of pain or injuries as a result of the collision. Some symptoms may begin to present after a couple of weeks or even longer after the MVA. After this point, if you make a claim with your insurance company, it may be denied because it is outside of the ten days post-MVA. This is unfortunate if you miss this 10-day post-accident time frame for reporting, as you will therefore be responsible for all the costs of your care and treatment needed.
At Shephard Health, we understand that all Motor Vehicle Accidents (MVA) can be overwhelming for the patient. All you have to do is come in and provide us with your claim number (issued by your insurance company when you contact them) and the claim adjuster's name. After that, we will take care of everything else; your care, paperwork to your insurance company and all you're billing directed to your insurance company. Shephard Health’s goal is to provide the injured patient with the best treatment options so that you can return to living, working and playing pain-free.