Almost everyone will experience neck pain at some point in their life. Resulting from injury, stress, or lifestyle habits like working at a computer for hours on end, neck pain can range from mildly irritating to incapacitating; impacting mobility and enjoyment of life. Massage therapy is a non-invasive, natural method for addressing all levels of neck pain and is effective at alleviating discomfort and helping to restore strength, mobility, and alignment of muscles and connective tissues. You do not need to suffer with acute or chronic neck pain; massage therapy can relieve your pain and aid in overall feelings of well-being.
Massage Therapy For Pain Relief
Muscle tension and overuse, injury, and stress can create bands of rigid tissues in tendons, ligaments, and muscles. These adhesions are painful and can impede circulation, cause inflammation, and limit movement. Massage therapy works to manually break down adhesions to relieve pain, restore mobility, and reduce inflammation.
Common Causes Of Neck Pain
Neck pain is most commonly caused by:
- Muscle Strain: Improper ergonomic alignment at a computer workstation or workbench, unusual sleeping positions, poor form when lifting or moving, and even teeth grinding can cause muscle strain.
- Nerve Compression: Herniated disks, bone spurs, and misalignment can cause painful nerve compression.
- Injury: Whiplash, motor vehicle accidents, and sports injuries can result in acute or chronic neck pain.
- Disease: Osteoporosis, arthritis, meningitis, and even cancer can cause neck pain.
- Joint Deterioration: Age can cause wear and tear on your joints that impact the cartilage that cushions them.
- Sedentary Lifestyle: Lack of exercise, regular activity, and poor posture can leave the neck more prone to pain and injury.
Types of Massage Therapy
There are several types of massage therapy techniques that can be used to treat neck pain:
- Therapeutic Massage: This technique combines a variety of massage therapies to increase circulation, relax muscles and relieve aches and pains.
- Deep Tissue Massage: This technique focuses on the deeper layers of muscle and fascia in the body, Using a series of slower, firm strokes with deep finger pressure, deep tissue massage can break up adhesions and provide relief to sore muscles.
- Hot Stone Massage: Using warmed, basalt, ultra-smooth stones, this technique relaxes muscles using heat to release tension and allow for a deeper penetration during the massage. Hot stones are also calming, relieve stress, and provide a more relaxed psychological state as well.
A Holistic Strategy To Relieve Neck Pain At Shephard Health in Calgary
Massage therapy to alleviate neck pain is even more effective when it is part of a holistic strategy to reduce pain and address the underlying causes of injury. Shephard Health offers a variety of treatments to complement massage therapy to effectively treat chronic and acute neck pain and to correct any conditions or lifestyle habits that are causing it. By combining Massage Therapy with other treatment modalities such as Chiropractic Care, Active Release Therapy, Graston Technique, Cold Laser Therapy, Shockwave Therapy, and Spinal Decompression, pain can be eliminated and full mobility restored.
As one of Calgary’s Top 3 Rated Chiropractors of 2021, Dr. Shephard uses a variety of treatment modalities to help patients find relief from pain, restore movement and mobility, and achieve overall health and wellness at our NW Calgary clinic in Kensington. The Shephard Health team has over 20 years of experience in services ranging from chiropractic care and physical rehabilitation to Active Release Therapy and Biomechanical Analysis. We are committed to providing personalized treatment solutions to our patients with thoughtful care and experienced competence. We offer a no-obligation, complimentary consultation to assure you that we are the right team to help you achieve your goals for wellness and pain-free living. Call us at 1-403-543-7499 to book your appointment.
Q: Is massage therapy covered by insurance?
A: Many extended health insurance plans cover or supplement a specified number of massage therapy treatments and other chiropractic and physical therapy treatments. Shephard Health offers direct billing for many private insurance providers.
Q: How long is a massage treatment?
A: Shephard Health offers a range of treatment lengths. At your initial, complimentary consultation, we can fully assess your health and injury concerns and recommend a customized course of treatment for you.
Q: Are your massage therapists certified?
A: The massage therapists at Shephard Health are fully certified, registered massage therapists (RMTs)
- Massage Therapy
- Back Pain
- Chiropractic Care
- Cold Laser Therapy
- Neck Pain
- Nerve Pain
- Physical Rehabilitation
- chiropractor in calgary