There were over 17,000 traffic injuries reported in Alberta in 2018. If you are one of the Albertans suffering pain and discomfort due to a motor vehicle accident injury, prompt chiropractic care can ease your symptoms, reduce recovery time, and get you back to living, working, and playing pain-free.
There are many responsibilities after a motor vehicle accident; calls to lawyers, police reports, paperwork doctor visits, and more. But one of the best things you can do to support your health, long and short term, is to visit a chiropractor who focuses in motor vehicle accident care. Here are just some of the ways a chiropractor can facilitate your healing.
What Are the Symptoms of a Motor Vehicle Accident Injury?
Any pain experienced that was not there before the MVA
Whiplash and injuries related such as:
- Neck pain
- Difficulty swallowing
Concussion symptoms such as:
- Nausea or vomiting
- Eye sensitivity
- Blurred vision
- Ringing in the ears
- Brain fog
- Increased anger response
- Increased emotional response
- Soft tissue injuries such as muscle pain, joint pain, sprains and strains
- Back pain
- Shoulder pain
Have You Been Injured? First Steps:
If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident these are the first two steps you should take:
- Call Your Insurance Company: Let your provider know you have been involved in an accident and make sure you get a claim number and the contact information of your claims adjuster. You will need these details to submit claims for your care.
- Find A Chiropractor: Chiropractors are approved primary health care practitioners. Connect with a chiropractor who is experienced in providing motor vehicle accident care. You do not need a referral to seek this treatment. We recommend looking for a chiropractor who can provide direct billing to your insurance company. In Alberta, you are entitled to accident benefits coverage regardless of fault. Under the Alberta Diagnostic Treatment Protocols Regulation, your auto insurance covers you for a minimum of 10 chiropractic treatments within 90 days of your collision. This number of treatments can extend to as many as 21 treatments, and further extensions can be applied for as needed.
How Can A Chiropractor Help?
Here are just some of the ways a Chiropractor can help you after a motor vehicle accident injury:
- Minimize Pain: Spinal manipulations performed by a chiropractor encourage your body to release pain-relieving hormones such as oxytocin, neurotensin, and cortisol.
- Reduce Inflammation: Inflammation after injury is common and is an indication of your body’s natural healing. But chronic or excessive inflammation can cause discomfort and pain and is harmful to your tissues. Realignment of your spine encourages your body to decrease cytokine production which can decrease your body’s inflammatory response.
- Diagnose Hidden Injuries: Some injuries are not apparent immediately following a motor vehicle accident. A comprehensive assessment by a chiropractor with experience in motor vehicle accident care can help identify injuries that are not initially obvious or that are disguised by other more prominent pains.
- Reduce Scar Tissue: Injuries that are left untreated will naturally develop scar tissue as they heal. Over time scar tissue can begin to cause pain and stiffness. A chiropractor can employ specific techniques that encourage the break up of scar tissue and speed healing.
- Restore Range Of Motion: Neck, back, shoulder, leg, and hip injuries can lead to a loss of flexibility and impairment to your range of motion. This could be attributed to inflammation, scar tissue, or a misalignment of your spine. Chiropractic adjustment can return your spine to proper alignment and ease stiffness and restore range of motion.
- Provide Non-Invasive/ No Medication Treatment Options: Chiropractic treatment is completely natural treatment that respects your body’s ability to heal without medication and surgical intervention.
Expert Motor Vehicle Accident Care In Calgary
You do not have to suffer the pain and discomfort of a motor vehicle injury unsupported. Shephard Health provides expert motor vehicle accident care with multiple treatment modalities available to fast track your healing and recovery. It is crucial to connect with your insurance company within ten days of being involved in a motor vehicle accident, regardless of fault, to claim the accident benefits coverage you are entitled to. Sometimes injuries are not immediately apparent, but symptoms may develop days or even weeks after the collision. If you have been involved in a traffic collision, we recommend an assessment within ten days, or your benefits could be denied.
Dr. Jay Shephard and the team at Shephard Health have over 20 years of experience providing chiropractic health services including motor vehicle accident care to Calgarians. We believe that healing and wellness is an entirely individual process and we tailor your treatment plan to meet your individual needs. Shepherd Health offers a no-obligation, complimentary consultation to assure you that we are the right team to help you achieve your goals for healing and recovery, and living pain-free after a motor vehicle injury. Call us at 1-403-543-7499.
Shephard Health is committed to helping you achieve pain-free living, one step at a time.
Q: This process is so confusing. Where do I start?
A: The first step is to contact your insurance provider to receive a claim number and contact information for your claims adjuster. After that, all you have to do is come in and provide us with this information and we will take care of everything else; your care, the paperwork for your insurance company, and all your billing directed to your insurance company.
Q: Will I just have spinal adjustments?
A: After a comprehensive assessment we will deliver a completely customized treatment plan to help you meet your goals for recovery. This could include chiropractic adjustments, active release therapy, physio care, shockwave therapy, and more.
Q: Is Shephard Health accepting new patients?
A: Yes, we always welcome new patients with no referral needed!