What Is Shockwave Therapy?
Shockwave Therapy, also known as extracorporeal shock wave therapy (ESWT) is a non-invasive treatment that uses non-electrical, high-energy sound waves to target specific musculoskeletal tissues. ESWT leverages the body’s own natural processes to heal soft tissue injury. The shockwaves produce a rapid increase in blood flow to the injured area (neovascularization). This increases metabolic activity at the site of injury and promotes the breakdown of fibrous tissues and kickstarts inflammatory healing that is critical for tissue repair.
During treatment, your chiropractor will apply a coupling gel to the injured area and use a hand-held device to deliver stimulating shockwaves. The shockwaves are converted into sound energy as they enter the body. A typical session is between 5 and 15 minutes and treatment is most effective when repeated weekly. There are virtually no risks or side effects associated with Shockwave Therapy treatment, but some patients report mild discomfort after a session, similar to a post-workout ache.
The Benefits Of Shockwave Therapy For Soft Tissue Injury
There are many benefits to ESWT for treating soft tissue injuries including:
- A Non-Invasive Treatment Option: ESWT is non-surgical and requires no incisions, so there is no risk of infection and scarring.
- An Affordable Option: Treatment is cost-effective, treatment plans are efficient, and coverage is available through most insurance providers.
- No Side Effects: Other than the possibility of some mild post-treatment discomfort similar to the achiness experienced after a vigorous workout, ESWT has no known side effects.
- Multiple Areas Can Be Treated: Your chiropractor can use ESWT to treat multiple soft tissue injuries or areas of pain without the need to isolate treatment areas.
- Treatments Are Fast And Effective: Treatment sessions typically last 5-15 minutes with no downtime. Patients may experience some pain relief and healing after even one treatment session and may only require 3 to 5 treatments.
- Can Be Combined With Other Treatments: Your chiropractor can combine ESWT with other treatment modalities to provide rapid and optimal recovery.
Heal Your Soft Tissue Injury With Shockwave Therapy At With Shephard Health
You do not need to suffer with the pain and loss of motion or mobility due to a soft tissue injury that does not respond to at-home, conventional treatments. Shockwave Therapy is an affordable, effective, and safe way to activate your body’s own healing powers and facilitate quick recovery from soft tissue injury. To discuss the assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of your soft tissue pain, book your complimentary consultation with Dr. Shephard and the team at Shephard Health now.
Dr. Shephard is one of Calgary’s Top 3 Rated Chiropractors. He and the team at Shephard Health use a variety of treatment modalities to relieve pain, restore movement and mobility, and achieve overall health and wellness at our NW Calgary clinic in Kensington. The Shephard Health team has over 20 years of experience in services ranging from Chiropractic Care and Spinal Decompression Therapy to Active Release Technique (ART®) and the treatment of disruptive conditions such as headaches and migraines. We offer a no-obligation, complimentary consultation to assure you that we are the right team to help you achieve your goals for complete wellness and pain-free living. Call us at 1-403-543-7499 to book your appointment.
Q: What are some of the most common conditions treated with Shockwave Therapy?
A: Your chiropractor can use Shockwave Therapy to address:
- Plantar fasciitis, heel pain & heel spurs
- Elbow pain (tennis elbow or golfer’s elbow)
- Shoulder pain (frozen shoulder)
- Achilles tendon pain (Achilles tendonopathy)
- Patellar tendonitis (jumper’s knee, runners’ knee, or Osgood-Schlatter disease)
- Chronic neck and lower back pain
- Trigger points
- Sprain and strains
- Shin splints
- TMJ pain
- Stress fractures
Q: What is the expected progress with Shockwave Therapy?
A: The beneficial effects of Shockwave Therapy are often experienced after only 3 to 5 treatments. Some patients report immediate relief after the treatment although it can take potentially up to 4 weeks for pain relief to begin and between 9 to 12 weeks to see the positive benefits. Studies demonstrate the most significant healing is between 6 and 9 weeks. This procedure can possibly reduce pain and potentially restore mobility.
Q: Why should I consider Shockwave Therapy?
A: Shockwave Therapy has a proven success rate that is equal to or greater than that of traditional methods and without the risks, complications, and lengthy recovery time. Shockwave Therapy does not require anaesthesia, treatment sessions are quick, and patients can weight bear immediately and return to normal activity within a few days of the procedure.