When an unfortunate soft tissue injury occurs, acting quickly and correctly can be the difference between a minor inconvenience and a serious injury. Keep reading to learn about how you can treat your soft tissue injury at home and what your personalized treatment plan may look like with Shephard Health.
Injuries to muscles, tendons, and ligaments resulting from sudden trauma or overuse are classified as soft tissue injuries. These can limit movement, make activity difficult, and result in ongoing pain for patients. Soft tissue injuries include:
- Sprains / Strains- a partial tear to a ligament/ injury to a muscle or tendon
- Contusions- a bruise from blunt force
- Tendonitis- inflammation of a tendon
- Bursitis- inflammation of the bursa, a fluid-filled sac providing cushioning between bones and muscles or tendons
A thorough assessment can help determine the nature and severity of your injury. Recovery from a soft tissue injury can take time, but there are many treatment options available to speed healing, increase successful outcomes, and minimize the risk of re-injury.
Treatment Protocols For Soft Tissue Injuries
The acute treatment protocol for soft tissue injuries is PRICE:
- PROTECT: Stop the activity that may aggravate the injury. Immobilize or minimize the use of the injured area. This might involve a sling, crutches, or a brace.
- REST: Rest and avoid any activities that cause strain or pain. Allow yourself time to heal.
- ICE: Apply ice to the affected area for 20 minutes every two to four hours. Be careful not to apply ice directly to your skin to avoid cold damage.
- COMPRESSION: Use a compression bandage to control swelling while ensuring you don’t restrict circulation.
- ELEVATION: As often as possible, rest the injured area in a supported position elevated above the level of your heart. This allows fluid to drain away from the injury site and reduce swelling.
These measures will often alleviate the immediate ache and discomfort from a soft tissue injury, but sometimes pain, stiffness, loss of mobility, and re-injury can persist after an initial healing period. Sometimes it can take weeks or months to fully recover. When your symptoms are not diminishing despite your efforts to practice PRICE, it is time to seek treatment through a clinic that focuses on treating soft tissue injuries.
What Shephard Health Can Do For Your Soft Tissue Injury
Practitioners focusing on soft tissue injuries will perform a thorough evaluation of your bones, joints, and soft tissue structures and may even request further diagnostics to establish the cause and nature of your injury. Once a complete assessment is completed, whole-health practitioners like the team at Shephard Health are ready to design a comprehensive treatment plan just for you.
Because we are committed to providing our patients with the most innovative and advanced techniques in treating soft tissue injuries, we have a wealth of knowledge and an arsenal of tools and techniques we can utilize to facilitate your healing journey. Your personalized treatment program may include:
- ART ®: The patented therapeutic massage known as Active Release Technique is a treatment for muscles, tendons, ligaments, fascia, and nerves.
- Massage Therapy: We offer a variety of massage techniques and can determine which massage service would best treat your type of injury.
- Graston Technique: This is an instrument-assisted technique to break down scar tissue and fascial restrictions.
- Acuscope and Myopulse System: This therapy utilizes electrical nerve stimulation to reduce spasm, inflammation, restore range of motion and promote healing in soft tissues.
- Exercise Therapy: A customized exercise program can hasten recovery and prevent re-injury.
- Kinesio Taping: Targeted taping with this hypoallergenic tape can stabilize the injured area, support healing, reduce swelling, and prevent further injury.
- Physical Rehabilitation: Working with a trained physiotherapist can guide you through your healing journey using a variety of interventions resulting in restored movement and function, reduction of pain, and hastened recovery.
There are a number of treatment options available, so you do not have to suffer through a prolonged, frustrating recovery from soft tissue injuries. Consult with the team at Shephard Health, and you will receive a recovery plan designed specifically for your injury and your lifestyle. We are committed to helping you achieve wellness with our in-depth knowledge of multiple health disciplines, all innovative treatments available, and a collaborative team environment.
A Holistic Approach To Healing
Shephard Health can assess your soft tissue injury with a whole-person approach and customize a treatment plan using proven therapies and innovative techniques addressing your specific needs. Our team has the experience and knowledge to guide you on a comprehensive journey to healing and whole health. Our treatment plan enables you to access traditional and new therapies and enables you to become an active participant in your recovery. If you are struggling to find relief and wellness after suffering a soft tissue injury contact the office to receive a complimentary consultation and let us share our processes for recovery with you.